Saturday, November 12, 2005

Can't think of a title: November rain and baking?


I really enjoy it when I get fixated on one food item. Like, how to make the perfect pastry, homemade Creme Anglaise, Saxony potato cakes, Cornish pasties, gnocci, that sort of thing. Well, today it was Eccles cakes. So I got out my Woman's Institute Cookbook, which has every necessary traditional British food recipe that a girl could ever need. That is where I go if I want a yorkshire pudding recipe, pancakes and yes, there it was, Eccles cakes. But of course, to make the flaky pastry correctly and the cakes to follow would take hours if done properly. So I did a rush job and while I was at it, added finely diced bramely apples.

200 grams of the best quality plain flour
50 grams butter/ 50 grams white vegetable fat
2 or 3 tablespoons of cold water (from the water filter in the fridge)
1 small bramley apple finely diced
50 grams of melted butter
50 grams of light brown sugar
50 grams of raisins
dash of lemon juice




But at least I made it in the traditional shape. Baked up loverly.

School:
The kids have all discovered that I'm preggie. They are so excited and have been very nice about it. Work itself is still full of pressure, but I'm trying to keep calm and work efficiently. Which is one reason I haven't blogged that much. But I won't go into all of the details. The enjoyable side is that Friday, last lesson we had a fairly successful gingerbread practical (for some reason I can't upload that photo, nevermind)

No comments: