Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Big thoughts and a little bit of popcorn

One of those difficult days today.
I had to think complex thoughts the whole time.
What's that about?

School and Teaching is the question. I want to be teaching to the kids real cooking skills and knowledge and a love of food. What I'm doing is teaching them how to design products for manufacturing. I'm also keeping them contained and entertained to make my life easier. My marking is repetitive and meaningless and for some reason there is a whole load of deadlines in these two weeks. So instead of working effectively to make my life easier, I instead felt sorry for myself, wondered what all of it means, and thought that it was all unfair. My teenage captives are rubbing off on me.

But I'm determined to not continue down that route as it is futile. Happiness is not connected to those sorts of issues. Happiness is about knowing what's for supper (it's Wednesday so it is veggie stir fry night with rice noodles, yum), my daughter reading a book while curled up next to me, looking at the budding trees on my way to and from school, listening to Herbie Hancock while in the store for school supplies at 7:30 in the morning, a hot shower, and late night popcorn with Parmesan cheese and black pepper. And, at least I have a job that supports all of that. Cool.

No comments: