Monday, July 25, 2005

preparing the white sauce



A good first day of the holiday, except that I awoke at my usual 6am, so annoying. Planned the meals for the next few days and then did the shopping late in the afternoon. The mother-in-law came back with us tonight, so I made something nice and traditional. Plaice poached in milk with bay leaves, onion and peppercorns. Thickened with a roux and topped with parsley. I served it with mash made with proper Scottish potatoes, fresh carrots and peas. For pud, I made lemon flavoured Swiss roll with strawberry jam, served with fresh raspberries from the garden and cream. The meal wasn't perfect, but very nice. Using another person's kitchen can be stressful. It will take me a few days to get in the swing of things. Tomorrow we are off for lunch in Fort Augustus to meet other relatives.

No comments: