Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Good Food No Money

If I'm off of work, I don't mind the challenge, because cheap good food needs proper prep time. One of my favourites is vegetable samosas. I've reduced the recipe so that there are no left overs and the butter pastry is wonderful. There is no point using oil or margarine (I refuse to use margarine) if I'm going to deep fry white flour I might as well do it right, but not very often.
I made the pastry first:
125 g plain flour
Rub in 50 grams of cold butter
add a sprinkle of onion seeds and cumin seeds, pinch of salt
stir in enough cold water to form a soft dough
put it in a baggie and into the fridge
samosa pastry.JPG
filling: 1 medium potato, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 50g frozen peas and 1 tablespoon of medium curry powder, salt and pepper
finely dice the onion and carrot, gently fry with the curry powder in a tablespoon of oil, cover with a lid to help the vegetables soften
peel and chop the potato and add it and the peas to the onion mix
pour in enough cold water to barely cover the vegetables
the ideal is for the potatoes to cook thoroughly with hardly any liquid left
season and allow it to cool (I have become quite involved with working on sudoko puzzles)
samosa before frying.JPG
putting it together:
divide the dough into 7 or 8 portions and roll up into a ball
roll them all out thinly but most definitely not paper thin
place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the middle of each round
take the pastry at 10 and 2 o'clock and bring it to the centre
seal it with water
bring up the bottom of the pastry up to the middle
seal it with water
frying samosa.JPG
deep fry in hot oil and drain
I served our lunch with a bit of iceberg (the last of the salad)
and a bit of peppered yogurt
Lovely.
Now, don't feel sorry about us
got paid today and had the groceries delivered : )

3 comments:

Indira said...

Surfing through food blogs, found your site. Samosas look yummy and you made them from scratch.
I usually use wanton papers,they cut the work to half, tastes good too.

Rachael Narins said...

those look SO delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about baby chocolate favor
. You can check it out at baby chocolate favor


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder