Monday, August 24, 2009

back from our trip to Germany


It was a successful trip. Food was interesting and thought provoking. Since we were visiting my brother on the air force base, I got to enjoy some of the foods from my childhood. Interestingly, my kids did not take to them. Too sweet?? Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Hawaiian Bread (brioche but fluffier and sweeter), Mountain Dew (sorry, MTN Dew?), Fritos. Whole conversations revolve around foods of our childhood, but they are just memories. Palettes change and mature, especially if one gets to move away from childhood standards. While my brother and his family were poppin' open pops for breakfast, we were going through the cupboards desperately seeking coffee to brew up. Wonderbread is the norm, and my brother was truly bemused when my hubby bought Jewish rye bread. We just wanted proper toast. Mamma's boy barely ate the whole week. That and his poor behaviour because of it was the only concern.
It was lovely to see my brother and his family. And they took us to such wonderful, kid friendly places. The kids were happy. The Hubby and I want to go back to just explore the wonderful world of Bratwurst.
Oh, and I know this makes me sound like an old lady, but I've never seen such clean loos and kitchens than in the places we visited. Well impressed.


No comments: