Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Burn's Night Supper

Ah, Burn's night. What a nice way to spend an evening and forget the day's stresses. The sister-in-law brought a haggis as a gift a couple of weeks ago, so it's been waiting snug in the freezer until today. So into the boiling pot it went.
The Girl looked up at me and said,'I wish I could have haggis too' and I thought, of course and did a google to get the basics for a veggie haggis. I didn't want to make too much. I boiled up a small amount of red lentils, fried a bit of pinhead porridge and chopped pecans, and wee bits of sweet onion, carrot and mushrooms. Seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon and mixed herbs.
I then double wrapped the mix in clingfilm to resemble the traditional shape and then wrapped in tin foil. Plop into the pot. The girl mashed the tatties, and I mashed the neeps and it was all lovely.
While we ate we listened to BBC Radio One. They had a show called One World that did a Burn's Night music special, it was very creative and interesting. You could probably listen to it too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

No comments: